Absentee Voting

Any registered voter in North Carolina who is qualified to vote in an election can either request and receive a mail-in absentee ballot or vote during One-Stop for any election, whether it is a statewide primary, general election, or special election on constitutional amendments, referenda or bond proposals, or any municipal election in which absentee voting is allowed. No special circumstance or excuse is needed to receive and vote a mail-in absentee ballot.


General Instructions

A person must be a registered voter in their North Carolina County of residence in order to request an absentee ballot. If not registered to vote in the proper county, a person must submit a voter registration application along with the State Absentee Ballot Request Form. The deadline to register to vote is 25 days prior to the date of the election.

Completing the Form

The voter’s full name, residential address, date of birth and an identification number (see Proof of Identification below) must be provided on this form. This information will be used to confirm your voter registration. In addition, this form must be signed by the voter or the voter’s near relative or qualified legal guardian.

Who may make a request for an absentee ballot

Either the voter or the voter’s near relative or qualified legal guardian may request an absentee ballot. A “near relative” is defined as the voter’s spouse, brother, sister, parent, grandparent, child, grandchild, mother-in-law, father-in-law, daughter-in-law, son-in-law, stepparent, or stepchild.

Who may not make a request for an absentee ballot

If a registered voter is a patient in any hospital, clinic, nursing home or rest home in this State, it is unlawful for any owner, manager, director, employee, or other person, other than the voter’s near relative or verifiable legal guardian, to request an absentee ballot on behalf of the voter. The voter’s county board of elections should be contacted if a voter in a hospital, clinic, nursing home or rest home in this State needs assistance requesting or voting an absentee ballot.

Updating Voter Information

This form may also serve as a voter change form; however, changes in voter registration may only be made by the voter.

Proof of Identification

If the voter’s identification number (NC driver license number, NC DMV-issued identification card number, or last four digits of social security number) is not provided, then a copy of one of the following must be provided along with this request:

  1. A current and valid photo identification.
  2. A document that shows the name and residential address of the voter: a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, or other government document.

Ballot Availability

Absentee balloting materials are mailed to voters once ballots for an election are available. For most elections, ballots will be available 50 days prior to the date of the election. Absentee ballots are available 60 days prior to the date of a statewide general election and 30 days prior to the date of a city or municipal election.

Submitting the form

Submit this form to the New Hanover County Board of Elections no later than 5:00 pm on the Tuesday before the date of the election.

Address: 230 Government Center Drive Suite 38 Wilmington, NC 28403
Email: absrequest@nhcgov.com
Fax: 910-798-7295

This form may be mailed, faxed, emailed, or delivered in person. Visit www.ncsbe.gov to check the status of your absentee request.

2017 Municipal Election

Absentee-By-Mail Voting Begins
Friday, October 6, 2017

One-Stop Voting Begins
Thursday, October 19, 2017

Deadline to Request Absentee-By-Mail Ballot
Tuesday, October 31, 2017

One-Stop Voting Ends
Saturday, November 4, 2017

Absentee-By-Mail Ballot Return Deadline (By Hand)
Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Absentee-By-Mail Ballot Return Deadline (By Mail)
Monday, November 13, 2017
*Must contain postmark on/before Election Day


Some citizens, such as people serving in the military who are away from their permanent home on Election Day, their families, or U.S. citizens who are living abroad, have special voting rights and ways to register to vote. These people have the choice of either requesting a mail-in absentee ballot the same way as other registered voters, or they can apply to register and/or vote through special programs for military and overseas voters as described below.

The Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act (UOCAVA) is a federal law that requires states to allow certain voters who are absent from their county of residence to have special rights that provide an expedited means for them to register and vote by mail-in absentee ballot. In order to qualify under the provisions of UOCAVA in this state, a voter must be a legal resident of North Carolina. Citizens covered by UOCAVA include:

  • A member of the active or reserve components of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, or Coast Guard of the United States who is on active duty.
  • A member of the Merchant Marine, the commissioned corps of the Public Health Service, or the commissioned corps of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration of the United States.
  • A member of the National Guard or state militia unit who is on activated status.
  • A spouse or dependent of a uniformed services member as listed above.
  • U.S. citizens residing outside the United States.


UOCAVA voters may use the following forms to register and/or request an absentee ballot:

A military-overseas voter need only apply for an absentee ballot by one method; either the FPCA or the FWAB, but not both. Generally speaking, the FWAB serves as a backup to the FPCA. For most voters the FPCA is the best option. FWAB users will need to reference the UOCAVA Election Notice for a list of candidates running.

Previously registered UOCAVA voters may also use the State Absentee Ballot Request Form to request an absentee ballot.

For more information on absentee voting for UOCAVA voters, click here .


Board of Elections: 230 Government Center Drive, Suite 38 • Wilmington, NC 28403 • Phone 910-798-7330 • Fax 910-798-7295